Welcome from Pastor Glenn
If you are new here to the web site, we are excited you are here. Very quickly, there are five things you need to know about North Park Baptist Church.
1. Our purpose is “To know Jesus and make him known.”
2. We believe that the Bible is God’s word to us.
3. We believe that as followers of Jesus, he has a call on our lives to be his hands and feet to others. Our goal as a church is to equip you to do just that.
4. There is a sign in front of our church that says, “Hurting People Loved Here” . We mean it.
5. We are a ridiculously diverse church...and thrilled that we are.
If that sounds interesting, let me give you some more details:
1. Jesus is alive! He is the center of the Christian life. Jesus is the Son of God who humbled himself, became a man, and died on the cross for our sins. Jesus calls us to put our faith in him as our Lord and Savior, be transformed by the power of his Spirit, and to follow him. Jesus likened this transformation to being born again. It has been described like this, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."(Galatians 2:20). Our following Jesus and our relationship with him is a lifelong adventure that can start right now.
2. The Bible is God’s word to us, and as such is more than just a book. It has power to impact our lives as God speaks to us through it. Jesus said, "Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that come from the mouth of God."(Matt. 4:4) Because of this, each Sunday we study a portion of the Bible and practically apply it to our lives.
3. Jesus has a call on our lives. Jesus is calling us to be his representative, especially to those in our oikos. We use the Greek word okios to describe those seven to fifteen people in our relational worlds. These are the people we live with, go to school with, work with, and play with. After Jesus miraculously healed a man Jesus told him, “Go home to your family (oikos) and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” (Mark 5:19) We are to do the same. But it doesn’t stop there. Jesus also want us to pray for and minister to those in our okios as well. In a sense, we are to be Jesus to them. Our goal at North Park Baptist is to equip you to do just that.
4. “Hurting People Loved Here” These are not simply words on a sign, but an attitude and culture of our church. This is so important that we have a separate page for it. So look to your left and click its button. While you are looking in that direction take a look on what is on my desk. It is an upside down sheep. It is my mascot and it is upside down on purpose. Did you know that sheep who get turned upside down often can't get back up on their feet on their own? They need help. So do we. This is the place to get help to get back on your feet. And the place to help others get back on their feet.
5. There is a rich diversity here at North Park Baptist Church. In many churches everyone looks the same. At this church everyone looks different. You well find a wide variety of languages, cultures, careers and ages. A foretaste of heaven. It's pretty amazing, and we are praying that God would continue to bring in more. Maybe that someone is you.
If you have any questions about Jesus or the church, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would love to hear from you.